Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Wednesday, March 7, 2007
On the short flight from Madison to Chicago, I sat next to a businessman on his way to New York. He looked to be about my age, maybe a little younger. We chatted about being the sandwich generation, that children today seem to take longer to grow up, even after they leave home. That our parents need more guidance and support from us than we can remember receiving from them. Just as we exited our seats, he said, “The most important thing is the kids are healthy. That’s all that matters.” A few years ago, I would have agreed.

What about having a murderer in the family? Or a gangster? A mercenary? A drug dealer? A kid could weigh 700 pounds, unable to leave his home. Or a homeless person, living on the streets, eating other people’s leftovers from a garbage can. Or the president of a country that started a war.

At the baggage claim in San Jose, a healthy looking young man and I chatted about our respective trips. Turns out he’s in San Jose for a few months to go to a rehab center, pressured by his family to turn his life around. Whereas I’m here to help promote my son’s documentary film.

I handed out a few hundred postcards, flyers and buttons yesterday, plastered posters on the sides of our vans, encouraged people to come to the screening of ‘Indestructible’. I’ve lost count of those who’ve said they’ll be there, looking forward to it, can’t wait to see it. The first screening is tomorrow afternoon. By then the entire family will have assembled to cheer Ben's triumph. Could anything be more important?

No comments: