Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Happy 65th Birthday to Steve!

We met when he was nineteen, forty six years ago, on a cold November evening. He was cute, a little crazy like me, and someone who expected a lot from life. Sometimes it seems like we met a zillion years ago, other times it feels like yesterday. The journey together has been rocky, amazing, exhausting, frantic, fun, devastating, and exhilarating. I suppose anyone can say that about their life because no one gets a sweet ride. Everyone experiences bumps. It’s the size of the bumps, the texture, the smell, the density, the shape that differs. We’ve celebrated nearly 550 birthdays together, if you count all of our children, their spouses and our grandchildren. And we’ve got dozens ahead of us. I no longer expect or entertain the thought that the last of our life together will be a slow meandering on paved roads. What I do know is that whatever lies ahead, however steep the curves, I’ve got a great driving partner by my side.

4 comments:

jeanie said...

Barb, Reading your stories makes me feel so close to you and your family. You write with so much good description and feeling I could be there with you. The "no guns" story is familiar, but I always enjoy it again and again. The reminders are very helpful. I always go right to the blog with anticipation to read when I get a reminder. Love you, Jeanie

Carol Owens Campbell said...

Happy Birthday to Stephen! John, Griffin and I are celebrating you from afar and wishing you a great new year ahead! Loved your message, Barbara, about all the "birthdays" and events you two have shared together. Cheers! Love,Carol

Sharon S said...

Happy birthday, Steve. Going for a butter burger at Culver's? Sharon & Bill

Jan S. said...

Barb, Love reading your blog. Your writing is thoughtful and uplifting. Life certainly is not always a "sweet ride", yet I still find myself wishing/expecting it should be. I want everything and everyone I love nicely "tucked in", but they just don't stay tucked! Give Steve my belated happy birthday wish, and send me an e-mail with new blog set-up information. I think I accidentially deleted your last e-mail. Don't forget to come see me. Jan