Magic

Want a little magic in your life? Try Reiki (pronounced ray-key). Until last week, I knew very little about this healing system, other than it existed. Then my sister, Sandy Wallman, attended a workshop and came back raving about the experience. I had to try it for myself and am very glad I did.

Reiki emerged from the Tibetan culture more than 2500 years ago. This ancient healing technique was discovered by Dr. Mikao Usui at the end of the nineteenth century and has been passed down to many Reiki Masters, one of whom is Bernadette Doran, who lives in Chicago and offers workshops and trainings in her home. In just a few hours, she transformed me from a skeptic to an enthusiast.

But what is it? A physical, mental, spiritual and emotional healing system that channels energy, bringing with it balance and harmony. Every living thing, including plants and animals, contains its own personal energy. Once a person is attuned by a Reiki Master, the energy flow from the cosmos increases and can be used to heal herself and others in a gentle, natural and surprisingly simple way.

Okay, okay. I know this sounds hokey. But I’ve been giving myself and others in the family treatments for nearly two weeks, and while I’ve absolutely no apparent control over any of it, something is definitely occuring. My sleep has improved, my energy level increased, my cataract has cleared a bit. When I hold my hands two inches apart, I can feel the heat. I’m more relaxed, less frantic.

And then there’s my dog, Emma, with arthritic shoulders who takes forever to walk across the street. When I gave her a treatment, she snuggled up closer, rolled over on her back, licked me profusely, then followed me around for the rest of the day. Since then, she sits at my feet with a soulful look until I hold her limbs.

The other night, I babysat with Zoe, my four year old granddaughter. After her bath and story, she was wired. When I asked if she’d like a Reiki treatment she said sure, even though she’d no idea what I was talking about. Zoe stretched out on her back and closed her eyes as instructed. After I placed my hands on her head, the child took a huge breath and went limp. Ten minutes later she said, “Night, grandma,” gave me a kiss and went to sleep.

I’m something of a workshop junkie, having taken a slew of programs: Pathways, Fully Embodied Woman, Woman’s Circle, Journey into the Creative Soul. I’ve co-created and facilitated Moon Lodge for Moms. All these experiences have been magical in many ways.

But Reiki really is magic.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shatterproof: A Mother's Memoir of Love and Loss

Scars

In Search of a Peaceful Transition