Park Bully

With just 3 weeks to go before the election, the anxiety has reached a fever pitch for pretty much everyone.  The threats and intimidation coming from the White House has increased in direct proportion to Biden's winning lead which looks like anywhere from 12 to 16 points. Trump is flailing around, striking blows randomly, reaching for any weapons in his tool box.  He's a full grown bully, with techniques learned 70 years ago in the sandbox that are now failing him. 

Here's a story I wrote many years ago about a four year old bully. I wonder sometimes, what's become of him. 


************************
Park Bully

Eddie is the park bully at age four. He throws sand, squishes castles, pinches arms, pushes babies and ignores his mother's pleas to be a good boy.  Bad boy Eddie is the scapegoat of Goudy playground, the source of all angst, beyond control and blamed for any bad behavior that the other children exhibit. No one intervenes or supports this family.  Instead, we whisper maliciously behind Eddie's mom's back and wish they would move away so we could read and visit in the park in peace.

"What's the matter with her? I''m ready to strangle that brat."
"Doesn't she know anything? She's creating a monster."
"She's such a wimp.  Like a mouse."

This particular day is Max Berger's fourth birthday and the entire park contingent of moms and children are seated in the Berger living room. A young singer-guitar player, wearing blue jeans and a pony tail, is seated center-floor and invites everyone to join in the refrain to "Puff the Magic Dragon." Eddie, positioned two feet from the tip of the guitar tilts his head back, puffs up his chest and blows his paper horn with vigor. Now we cannot hear the singer, the children, our own voices.  Only Eddie's horn, blaring away.  The child has lungs.

Every mother is silently steaming, smoke rising above our heads. Some of the children cover their ears.Eddie's mother moves towards the hallway. She's given her third unsuccessful plea and is about to cry.  Eddie blasts the room, drowning out the entertainer. I tiptoe my way through the children seated on the floor, legs crossed, hands folded in laps, all eyes focused on the music man. I kneel down next to Eddie and whisper in his ear, spitting out each word.

"Blow that horn again and I'll take it away.  You will never see it again."

Eddie slams the horn into his lap and sits up as if I have prodded him in the back with an ice-cold pole. I sit on the floor directly behind him and watch as he places the horn on the floor in the space between his crossed legs and covers it with his hand. His mother collapses into a nearby chair looking visibly relieved. Almost everyone enjoys the last the of concert.

We leave en masse.  Eddie's mother does not ask what I said to her son and I do not offer, a misguided sense of privacy shutting both of our mouths.  On the walk home, my neighbor asks what I said to make Eddie stop, finally.  She and I laugh together over this victory, flattening Eddie's mother into a cardboard cutout. Years later I will regret not offering my hand in friendship and support to the park bully's mom.

********************
And now we all know what happens when a sandbox bully grows up without limits, structure and consequences. He intimidates, threatens and blows his horn at everyone around him. Trump may be the park bully for the moment, but not for long.  




Goudy Park in Chicago























Comments

  1. Over the years we have all faced bullies, though we have never encountered one who commandeered the national stage like our president. But, like Eddie, attention was what he really wanted. Eddie shut up after you threatened him, but regardless of what you said, you gave him what he wanted. Someone paid attention. And, if you read Trump's niece's book, it's spelled out in black and white. Donald learned early how to earn his father's attention and what he needed to do to keep it. Unfortunately, he never learned the importance of empathy. I hope Eddie did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another apropos story, Barbara. Hoping we can take the bully Trump's horn away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In grade school I was bullied. My mother, never one to back down to anyone, told me it was up to me to put an end to it and teach people how I expect to be treated. She gave me full permission to defend myself, but made it clear that I was not ever to be the one to start a fight. The next time that girl pushed me from behind and tried to trip me, I spun around and broke her nose with my math book. Nobody ever bullied me again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shatterproof: A Mother's Memoir of Love and Loss

Scars

In Search of a Peaceful Transition