Shatterproof: A Mother's Memoir of Love and Loss

At long last, I have completed my memoir about our son Benjamin's ALS diagnosis and the eight years that followed until his death in 2008.  I promised myself that I would complete this memoir by my 80th birthday. I am pleased to report that I was able to fulfill that promise as my 80th birthday was July 16, 2023. Mine is a bittersweet memoir, filled with humor as well as grief. This is my truth. My hope is that you will read my story and gain strength for the challenges in your own life, whatever they may be. 

Here are some of the comments I've received from those who have read Shatterproof.  

Shatterproof is a beautiful and stunning tribute to and testimony of a mother's love as she supports, advocates and wrestles with her son's ALS diagnosis.  Ellen Blum Barish, essayist and memoirist

This book will deeply touch all who read it and help many people who have suffered the loss of a child. Eve Lipchik, MSW, Co-Founder ICF Consultants

Barbara captured my imagination. Kindness, compassion, honesty and humor fill the pages with funny, tender, and loving bits - a healing experience for every reader. Jeanie Kachoris, BS, Soul Sister

 I am in awe of Barbara's grace as a storyteller. She has brought a dark story into a bright light of hope. Carol Owens Campbell, MFA

Shatterproof is a mother's Odyssey through the throes of the tragic demise of her son's slow ALS death. Sustained by her unremitting love for her son, she did not shatter, but on the contrary remained resolute, present and grew to endure her family's tragedy.  Paul J. Kachoris, MD, Psychiatrist

There can be nothing more profound for a mother than to bring new life into the world. And nothing is more devastating than watching that life blossom into maturity, then wither over eight years and die. This mother tells her story beautifully, painfully, heroically and honestly in Shatterproof. Bad things do happen to good people. And while time may never heal completely, it does blunt the acute sting of the wound. This book tells how a mother can live the nightmare and emerge stronger.  Michael Kaplan

Shatterproof is available through the Lulu Bookstore in both print and ebook form.  

Also available through Amazon, Barnes and Noble and other venues.




Comments

  1. Congratulations, Barbara. I know how much this accomplishment means to you. I am extremely happy that you have achieved this goal. Your writing is exceptional, easy to follow, full of emotions (happy, sad). Your strength and courage are to be admired and respected. I love you and wish you peace and a feeling of fulfillment. On to the next..... I know you won't rest!! Love, Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a loving response. I'm not sure what I would do without your care and love. I am very excited to have completed Shatterproof and hope others find the book meaningful for them. Thank you so much!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment

Popular posts from this blog

Scars

In Search of a Peaceful Transition