My Sister Sandra

Sandra and Barbara, 2014
What can I say about my sister Sandra who will live in my heart forever?  She was my friend, my second mother, my confidant.  She died in January at the age of 85, still vibrant and lovely as ever to me.   

Sandy was a poet who wrote wonderful rhyming verses for fun, for invitations, for memories.  She wrote stories and books and created beautiful drawings and paintings. A spectacular cook, she could entertain 4 or 40 with ease. Her career spanned decades, from entrepreneur shop owner in Ohio to assistant to the CEO at Grey Advertising Agency.  She’s remade her life so many times with joy and love, it’s been an honor to watch the transitions and successes.

But most of all, she loved her family and friends fully and completely.  We made a pact years ago, watching our father die after struggling for years with Alzheimer’s. We wouldn’t stay around for the final exit.  We’d leave while we still had enough understanding of our lives.  Four years later, our mother showed us the way.

These last two years became overwhelming as Sandy tried to stay connected to her world. Confused and alone, she knew her best days were far behind.  Sandy chose to take ownership of her life, to follow our mother’s example, and to leave with dignity.  I miss her terribly.  Sandra was so important to me.  But I know she is in a better place, at peace and surrounded by love. 

Comments

  1. Everything you write about Sandy is so true. She was always generous, loving, creative, honest and loyal. Her smile and shining eyes made one feel safe and appreciated. She was maternal and nurturing and expressed it through her fabulous meals and cookies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were a wonderful friend to her and I know she loved you too.

      Delete
  2. Dear Barb,

    It is such a treat to have the opportunity to read your stories once again. This is a beautiful tribute to your sister, not just because you're able to somehow magically capture essence, but you have the writer’s ability to illustrate little details about her that make it so authentic and true to life. It's an added bonus for me that I've known you so long now that I can hear your voice as I read your words. A voice that is at once tender and loving and also descriptive, funny and honest too.. It's a voice I can listen to all day long. Thank you for sharing your talent and your heart. We are all better for it. Looking forward to your next post.

    Love,

    Barry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are so lovely. It's a comfort to know that she is remembered as the loving ,caring wonderful woman she was. Thank you so much.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shatterproof: A Mother's Memoir of Love and Loss

Scars

In Search of a Peaceful Transition