Gifts

2019

I know I inherited my part of my attitude towards money from my Mom. Maybe my Dad too. They began their life together during the Depression.  A box in the roll top desk in the living room held envelopes filled with dollar bills to pay the doctor, dentist, rent, groceries. It was my mother's way of keeping track of what was owed. Nothing ever became overdue or was purchased on credit. When they retired and moved to Leisure World in California, my sisters and I were concerned they might not be able to afford the costs and we agreed if help was needed, we would all chip in. That's when we found out they had saved several hundred thousand dollars. How they did that remains a mystery to me but then they rarely took vacations or bought new furniture or clothing.

What I never inherited was their frugality. Steve was successful in his career. I enjoyed buying new clothes, decorating at will, enjoying my leisure, traveling freely. I don't think I was careless or overly indulgent. Caring for five growing children is expensive. At the same, I still worried about what was in our savings and if we had enough for whatever unexpected might happen. I know those two items are somewhat contradictory, but when is anything simple? Anyhow, just a few months ago, I stopped caring about money in all forms. It's a new sense of freedom for me, manifested in two important ways.

For one, I booked a cruise, one that I had taken with Steve that I loved. Thought about it for a day and paid for it the next. A little impulsive, but I'm pretty excited about that plan. Secondly, I have nine grandchildren who I love very much and who I often forget to send a birthday card or a Chanukah gift. Sometimes I send an Amazon card or a check, but that seems so impersonal. And I'm never on time, which disappoints me. Finding the right gift is always a challenge when they live in other cities and see them just a few times a year, if I'm lucky. Steve and I decided ages ago how to divide up the remains of our investments when we are both gone. But who knows when that will be? I hope not soon. And my grandchildren can use extra funds now, when they are planning their futures, graduating, starting new careers.

Which is why I made a decision to make monthly deposits into each of their accounts for the duration. That way, each month they will think of me and their Grandpa and do something enjoyable with it. As happy as this might make them feel, it can't compare to how wonderful it makes me feel!

Comments

  1. I'm happy for you that you are secure enough to be able to do this for. your Grands. How very thoughtful and loving. Can I call you Grandma? ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Barb we have also been doing that for our grandchildren. This goes into a share fund which will be administered by their Parents and hopefully teach them the value of investing and not spending money

    ReplyDelete
  3. Treating yourself AND your grandkids - good plan. My Mom died 10 years ago this summer at the age of 92. While she wasn't rich by any measure, my Dad and her were careful with their money (5 kids to raise, you see) and she came into a bit of an inheritance. About 6 years before she died she wrote a letter to each grandchild (10 of them, I think) telling them how special they were and how much they meant to her. She included a $5,000 check. It brought so much happiness to each and everyone as they each had important things they could do with that money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an awesome idea Barb! I'm glad to hear you are paying yourself first with a trip though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Dad, Lucien Alexandre Puzin, who started his work life with nary a franc (French) to his name, ended up showering his children at his death with way more money than we would ever have dreamed of asking for. It's how I live at SJOL with income to spare! We grew up very middle class but there was always money for education, cultural and arts programs, church, and other important institutions. What a Blessing he and my Mom gave us. Plenty of good experiences and I think a pretty good head on our shoulders.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life as a Single

A Funny Story

Scars