Black and White
Sometimes, like this morning, I have so many thoughts rumbling around in my head that it's difficult to focus. For one, the water and air shows are performing today. I'm not sure what the fascination is with hoses spurting water in circles is about, but apparently a number of people find it intriguing. This afternoon, the noise of the airplanes will frighten the birds and remind me of the millions of dollars spent on metal instead of human beings. But enough of my negativity. The silver lining for me this morning is that the constitution, combined with all the laws that have been passed during these last 250 years, is so complicated and convoluted, I'm convinced we will survive and thrive, but it may take some time.
Instead, I'll share a story that always makes me laugh. Mona Haslip began bringing students into her home after school and on the weekends to create art, music, literature in Hyde Park. Her dream of building a center for all these activities and more came true in 2004 with a grand opening event in Bronzeville. My daughter Rebeccah, was employed at the time to build the glass blowing studio, so she was invited to the event and brought me and her sister Sarah along to the celebration.
When we arrived, a valet took our car. Everyone was dressed in their finest. The food was elegant and bountiful. City councilmen, CEO's, Doctors, Educators, everyone who was anyone was there to join in the celebrations. The music never stopped except for the individual speeches that praised Mona and her staff. I was thrilled to be included.
When we left, the valet saw us and before we could give him our ticket, he arrived with the car. I was so impressed because there were literally hundreds of people there and he remembered us. I commented to my daughters that with a memory like that he could succeed in a lucrative career.
Sarah and Rebeccah both looked at me like I had grown a second head. "Mom, we're the white girls."

Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a comment