I'm probably going to get into trouble for this suggestion, but the issue has been on my mind for some time. Here at Saint John's political discussions are tabu lest someone be offended which I totally understand and support. In the past, we did have candidates running for office present their views, both Democrats and Republicans. But that has waned. In fact lately, we only have current office holders talking about their responsibilities.
I'm absolutely not suggesting we discuss the differences between the two party system that exists. Rather, I think we should have discussions about how government, any government, should function. What is it's responsibility? Is everyone on an equal footing, or do some people have more rights than others? What about children's rights? In the beginning of our country, only men with property could vote. We have evolved, certainly, but it's only because each of us, in our own small worlds, have demanded change.
What else needs to evolve? That's the question I'd like to discuss. How can it happen? Another question. Does everything depend upon whom we elect? Is the government the only entity capable of making change? Of taking care of people? Should people even need care? What about making bad decisions? Whose responsibility does that belong to?
In truth, I feel helpless most days. I read Heather Cox Richardson and the New York Times opinion pieces and realize I am living in a world I barely understand. I was, always have been, and still are one of the more fortunate people on the planet. I'm grateful my grandparents had the forethought and strength to come to America so I could have a better life than they had. I'm not at all sure I would have been able to make the trip from Ukraine if I were them. On the other hand, they had nothing to lose and would probably have died a grueling death if they stayed. That's definitely motivation.
Here's my suggestion. We form a weekly discussion group. Each week, someone bring in an opinion piece he or she found compelling. That person reads it to the group and discussion follows. Everyone has to be respectful and not interrupt. To get this started, I'll be in the parlor this Wednesday at 3:00 with an article in hand. Care to join me? Just show up. And remember to be respectful.

Bravo, Barb! I hope you can make a difference. Not easy!!
ReplyDelete