Making Plans
Most Friday evenings, just as I'm falling asleep, I think about what I'd like to write about the next day to you, but if I don't write it down, I frequently forget the topic. That happened to me today. My daughter and her husband visited me from North Carolina this past week. We had a lovely time together and went to The Domes in Mitchell Park one afternoon, something I had always wanted to do. Some of my Madison family joined us yesterday which was a treat as it always is.
But now, I am staring out the window at the lake, annoyed with myself that I failed to prepare properly for this morning. As if that even makes sense. But the truth is, I do feel an obligation to you, to share some momentary insight, to say hello, to spend part of a morning with you. Not that you would shame or scold me if I failed to produce a missive. I would do that for you.
So here I am, thinking about the winter that will soon engulf us with cold winds and hopefully snow. I say hopefully because I love those flakes and we've been getting less and less of them these past few years. The Greenland ice sheet is disappearing at an alarming rate and producing methane from the sediments and microbial ecosystems hidden deep beneath the ice which heat the atmosphere. Another thing out of our control as are so many these days. But there is no point in worrying about things beyond us. What matters is what we do for ourselves every day which lately always feels like Sunday to me.
Here's my plan for the coming months: knit booties for family and friends, plan struggles for the characters in my novel, and play mahjong and occasional bridge with friends. I'd like to clean out my closet on a cold afternoon, pitch old files from my computer and my filing cabinet, and learn a new skill although I've no idea what that might be. Having something to look forward to makes a huge difference in the quality of my days and yours. Of course, you already knew that.
I'd like to know what your plans are for the coming winter months. We can all use fresh ideas.

I've always found that writing down a goal gives it a better chance of being accomplished. So, congratulations, you'll be getting a lot done this winter!! This winter, I (along with my husband) will get a handle on all those things we learned last week in those Aging with Intention sessions.
ReplyDelete